Sunday, December 21, 2025

Validation: It’s Not Always a Trophy

 Who says building a good physique is lame?


So today I was at the mall in the city, waiting for my friend. She promised she would be on time, but as usual, she was late. there I was, sitting in the mall, surrounded by the aggressive sparkle of Christmas decorations.To pass the time, I was minding my own business, scrolling through NewsNationToday, trying to ignore the chaotic energy of a "Truth or Dare" circle at the table next to me. They were loud. Like a group of aunties discovering a 70% off sale.

Suddenly, a girl detaches herself from the group and marches toward me. My internal monologue immediately went into overdrive; it was like the intro of "Ambarsariya" just started playing in the background of my mind. I was ready for my main character moment.

She reached my table and said "Hi." Before I could even reply to her "Hi," she dropped the bomb: “Bhaiya, aapki physique bahut acchi hai!”

Just like that, the music stopped. The "Ambarsariya" vibe faded away. Before I could even process the compliment, she bolted back to her table like she’d just touched a hot stove. It clicked. It was a dare. I was the "Lonely Guy at the Table" target. For five glorious seconds, I was floating in the clouds, until the word "Bhaiya" finally registered. The smile vanished. The "rizz" evaporated. I went from feeling like a Greek God to a neighborhood elder brother in record time.

I looked over; she was burying her face in her hands while her friends teased her mercilessly. Meanwhile the "Punctual Goose" finally arrived and asked why I looked like I had just lost a war, I just shook my head.


It reminded me of another incident gone wrong back at the college gym. I was mid-set in my full-body split, probably looking like a sweaty mess, when a freshie approached me with wide eyes.

“Sir, aap trainee ho?” he asked, dead serious.

I froze. A trainee? a small boy as an instructor?, I have only been training for three months! Either my genetics are a glitch in the matrix, or I’ve developed a "don’t-mess-with-me" aura that screams professional authority. I had to point him toward the actual trainer, but I walked out of that gym feeling like I could lift a literal truck.


But the ultimate validation? That happened in my hometown. I was riding a bike, wearing a sleeveless t-shirt and black shades, when a traffic police signaled me to pull over. Usually, this is the start of a headache. Instead, he looked at me and said:

“Barappa gym body, nidhana odsake agalva.” (Come here, gym body, why dont you drive slowly.)

I swear, I didn't even mind the lecture. Hearing a traffic police acknowledge the gains felt better than any trophy. I floated home on that bike.


Moral of the story: Working on yourself doesn’t make you the "best," but yeah you will be noticed for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Room #278: The Roommates You Didn't Sign Up For

It’s 3 in the morning, and I should be asleep or solving some hard questions on LeetCode, as my schedule says. But schedules are just on pap...